Thursday, June 25, 2009

My first Valentine's Day


Even after all this time
The sun never says to the earth, "You owe me."
Look what happens with a Love like that!
—It lights the whole Sky.


How true Hafiz (a Persian poet) is.

What is love? I tried to find out the meaning in dictionary and I searched in so many books. I could not find a satisfying answer until I fell in love and found the answer by myself. If I think now I can explain what love is, then I am very much wrong. Love is like taste, it should be experienced in order to understand the meaning. The world rotates because of love. The life existed and continued to evolve because of love. Love is eternal.

I think today’s youth know and feel about the love more than the previous generations.
Wait.. wait ... you might ask me, “why do you think so ... when you can say love is eternal, then yesterday, today and tomorrow love remains same.”

Today’s youth celebrate Valentine’s Day. They propose to each other on that day. They give “RED” roses. They exchange gifts. They give cards and say how much they love each other. Some people say they cannot live without the other. Some even go further and say “I love you and if you don’t love me I will throw acid on your face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” (An over dose of love).

Ok, let us come to the actual story. I always believed that, for true lovers each day is Valentine’s Day and why celebrate it on only one day in the year. It’s same as asking, why we should go to temple to pray, when god is everywhere. After sometime I realized. Temple is the place where you can concentrate on god very much because of its divinely environment and Valentine’s Day is the day where the joy of celebrating love is more when everybody else is celebrating with you. Isn’t it?

When I was working for MGL, one fine day (as usual feb 14th) there came Valentine’s Day. Red roses, red dresses, gifts wrapped in red covers and greeting cards in red envelopes. For one day earth becomes mars, red everywhere. I had finished my graduation just a year before. I could not afford to fall in love while studying because of the constant pressure of studies. Now I am working, Independent. I have all the time to fall in love as we had two days off in the weekendJ. But I didn’t have a boy friend to do so, very pity.

When the whole world is celebrating, I had to be back in the PG and continue to do my daily chores. I thought about all of those who were in my situation. And suddenly something stuck me. Eureka!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me celebrate the day with my friends.

I spoke to my close friends, swati and shekar. As they too didn’t have any partners to celebrate Valentine’s Day with, they too agreed to the idea. Then we chalked out a plan for that day. So our celebration started with roaming around jayanagar in the evening around 7pm. We went to each and every shop in jayanagar complex, we didn’t buy anything thoughJ. We spoke for length. We cracked jokes. We pulled each others leg. We ate cotton candies, pop corns and sweet corns. Yummy they were. We friends were so much in love with ourselves and as we loved each other as friends we enjoyed each and every moment. Swati was on diet. Myself and shekar we didn’t even care. We went to Chat house. A usual hangout of ours and had chats, noodles, fried rice and ice creams. Though swati is a food lover she could not eat as she was on strict diet. She was cursing both of us literally. “paapigala nanna bittu neevibre tintidira” we on the other hand were enjoying the food as well as the sight of swati cursing us. It only gave us more enthu to continue eating. We ordered two big bowls of ice creams. As we were chilling out with ice creams swati in-turn was getting heated up. In fact swati enjoyed as she watched us eating.

Once we are out of chat house we bought some key chains and exchanged with each other as the token of love and friendship we had with each other. We smiled at each other with a great joy of accomplishment. We started towards home around 10pm. Three hours of great joy and fun.

Today I am married. I celebrated Valentine’s Day for three years with my husband. But the level of enjoyment I had with my friends I never had it later. We call each other on every Valentine’s Day and we wish each other and we cherish the memories.

Thanks swati and shekar for giving me that immense happiness. I wish we always stay connected.


All love is expansion, all selfishness is contraction. Love is therefore the only law of life. He who loves lives, he who is selfish is dying. Therefore love for love's sake, because it is law of life, just as you breathe to live.

2 comments:

Swaram said...

3 unde ice-cream chennagitha ;)

Roopashree said...

Super agittu swati :)