Thursday, August 20, 2009

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings -- socrates

People are very careless when it comes to crossing the road, driving the vehicles. A pedestrian just cannot wait for a minute until he gets traffic signal to cross and he just wants to cross the road. A driver cannot wait for few more minutes and just jumps the signal with a greater speed as if racing with the time.

Today I over heard a guy talking to his friends, the day before how he crossed the road. He leaped over the two wheelers, suddenly ran in front of a bus and the driver suddenly applied the breaks. He exclaimed “Maccha !!! You should have seen how shit scared that driver was!!!!” Then a roar of the laughter by the group followed.

I felt like slapping the guy then and there. Usually I don’t feel like this. Even I have done such things many times in my life. I too ride a two wheeler everyday to office covering at least 18 to 20kms one way. Many a times I call my mom or hubby when I am riding towards office or on the way home. But after yesterday’s incident I dare not to do the same again.

I, mom, sis, aunt and my brother were happily shopping near national market. Then we thought of going to alankar plaza to look for some foot ware. We had to cross the road and were waiting in the signal. Vehicles were moving. One guy standing on the other side of the road ran towards this end of the road zipping in between the vehicles that were on a fast run. He had reached this end suddenly we heard a bang and screeching sound of an auto fellow applying the breaks. Everybody ran towards the sound creating a traffic jam.

Few people lifted the guy and laid him over the foot path. Apart from some scratches on his arm there was no other scratch or anything. There was little blood on his wide opened mouth. People around him started putting water on his face, checking his heartbeat. Looking all these from a far corner of the road with frightened eyes; I expected that the guy will get up soon and he will be taken to the hospital. For five long minutes I was waiting, nothing happened. Nobody is bothered to take him to the hospital. I cursed the traffic police who had already arrived there for their lack of time sense. I couldn’t understand why they are delaying. Then I heard somebody telling, “spot out” !!!!!

I was so shocked and looked at my mom, sis, aunt and my brother, just to find same expression on their faces. My sister was already crying and none of us knew what to tell and console her. The pop corn in my hand had slipped to ground without my notice.
And we carefully walked towards alankar plaza and we talked about that death for few minutes and we continued with our shopping. While coming back we saw the dead body was thrown inside a corporation vehicle which took the body somewhere which we didn’t even wanted to know.

Though I continued to enjoy with the company I had, my second mind could not stop thinking about that death. How we struggles each day for our living. We go to office, we work like donkeys, and we love our family and friends. We fight with/for our loved ones. We play the number game with money everyday. We buy land, purchase car, we go to movies, hotels and we enjoy as if there is no end to our life. We cry and we make others cry as if there is no end to this sorrow and pain. But one fine day sorry one fine “second” everything ends and we leave everything behind and go on the road from where there is no return.

I was thinking about his family who might have been waiting for him to come home to have lunch together. About his kids, waiting for him to tell what happened in the school that day. About his parents waiting for him to tell about their broken spectacles or to tell him how his wife annoyed them. I was thinking about his dreams which will be either buried or burnt along with him and his desires which ended on that road where he met with the accident.

Helpless we are, could not do anything other than shedding few drops of tears and feeling pity about the whole thing.

Bhagavan Buddha asked a mother who lost her child to get “mustard from a house never seen any deaths” in order to bring back the child’s life, Which only made the mother realize “death is inevitable”.

Though the death is inevitable, we should never invite our death by our small mistakes.
Life is full of gifts, let us take care of ourselves and enjoy the bliss.

Follow traffic rules. One, who breaks the rules, puts a break to his happy life. Take care.

6 comments:

Shekar said...

lA small silly mistake of a person may bring a deepest sorrow for the closed ones, No one knows weather the dead person will go to hell or heaven, but he definitely leaves the feeling of hell to his beloved ppl around.

Roopashree said...

I can understand your feelings.

Unknown said...

Worst thing is when the small mistake gives deepest sorrow to someone else's Family

Roopashree said...

very true

Unknown said...

Thoughtfully written !!

Roopashree said...

:)