Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The tiniest creatures in the Universe

It’s been a very long time since I wrote something in my blog. I was very busy learning TCL and automating some of my scripts. The fact is how much ever I try I am really very poor in coding and scripting. But I still am having fun with scripting as this is something new I m trying in my 5 year old career. Very funny !!!


Ok .. lets come to the point !!!

I want to share something in my blog. The thing what I am going share is not that nice, but blogs are there to throw out ones frustration, inability, temper etc... in order to keep your mind calm ( I learnt this only after reading Anurag kashyap’s blog on PFC. Now please don’t ask me who is Anurag Kashyap. Every movie buff in India should know who he is)


Our company provides breakfast, lunch and snacks to its employees for free. It’s not free though. It’s part of our CTC. I really love the breakfast they provide here, masala dosa twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. Even though my MIL prepares amazing breakfast at home, I never miss masala dosa at office at any cost. (I don’t miss even what my MIL prepares. I pack it and get it for lunch :-) )



As everybody knows, in offices there are technical staff and non-technical staff. Non-technical staff includes even those people who clean the building (sweeping, mopping and cleaning stuffs). For those staff the facility of free breakfast or lunch is not available.

Yes, it’s a fact.

One of those facility’s staff members gets her small 2 yr old kid to office, very smart kid indeed. She has big beautiful twinkling eyes and a cute charming face. She stands in the corridor wishing everybody good morning, Hi or bye. I really like her. If anybody meets her they really fall in love with her.



It was a Friday I had masala dosa and was returning back to my cubicle (where I m spending 3/4th of my life. Oh god plz save me from this Jail !!!) I heard that small kid crying. I went to her and asked why she was crying. She didn’t speak anything but continued crying. By then her mother said “she wants a masala dosa. But those catering guys don’t give and she doesn’t stop her cry. I don’t know what to do”. I felt really bad. I have seen most of the times employees wasting food. I myself have done that many times. I am ashamed of myself many times for doing so. And I was very angry with the management and also with the catering guys who actually could have showed some mercy for the kid and given her a dosa.



Driven by my pity and care for the girl I went and spoke to the catering guys and requested them to give a dosa to the kid for which they obliged.

When I returned, her mother who was standing their in a corner had tears in her eyes and she was unable to speak but her eyes were showing how thankful she was. Though that was a very small deed what I did, she made me feel so great.



Silly people we are. By doing such small things we feel we are great. I remembered a poem by DVG where the poet says “when a seed sprouts and comes out by tearing the surface of the earth it doesn’t make any sound. When a trees give fruits they never say it did and helped the mankind. The sun who shines the whole world never said I am the one who lightens the world. But we , so called human beings make lot of sound and noise even when we die and are buried”, such great those words. We are really tiniest creatures in this whole universe.

Carried by my pride and my deed I could not remember what DVG said though I had read that poem thousands of times in my life. Whoever gave a call to me that day, I told them about that incident and also I got hugs and kisses from my hubby for my great work.


Some days passed. After that incident her mother started treating me like an angel. She used to share things about her kid with me. What that girl did that day. How she fell down and got hit by the stone, what the kid ate that day, every possible thing. That made me happy.


Few days back I was walking on the corridor and the kid wished me good morning and wished her back. And her mother told me that one day before they had a meeting with the facilities manager. The manager was furious on this lady because he had received a complaint from many of the employees telling that kid made lot of noise in the corridors, and asked her to quit her job if the same continued.


Again I saw tears in her mother’s eyes. This time they were not the tears of gratitude but the tears of pain. She said why these people cannot understand that I cannot leave my kid at home and come here for work. Why can’t they understand it’s just a small kid and obviously makes some noise when it’s playing and cries when it’s hungry? It’s just a small kid. I was very much moved by what she said. I could sense by her voice that she believes that I can talk to the manager and I can save her job if I tried. I was confident that I will do something to help her.


But, I was as helpless as she was. She didn’t know that I have no special powers in office and I just an employee as she is here. I felt so ashamed. I felt how small I am and how cheap I was that day when I told everybody about the dosa incident. I never deserved that gratitude of hers.


I remembered DVGs poem that moment. I smiled at myself and went back to my cubicle. That was the only day I felt I was protected in my cubicle.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

title is too simple dummi....

Roopashree said...

But conveys lot of meaning, hopefully :D